Now that I have your attention, we can discuss something even more important than the elevator pitch. Get ready for the question: “why should I do business with you”?
You might not have 30 seconds. Somebody walked up to me after a recent speech and said, “In 15 words, why should I do business with you?”
You need a good response. After you have created an elevator pitch and are comfortable presenting it, condense it even further. You might come into contact with someone who may have heard hundreds of elevator pitches and wants something even more concise. They may want 15 words. You have to be ready.
The 15-word response
I responded, “I can turn your problems into solutions. I’ve been doing this since 1992.” That was 13 words (five seconds). It met his criteria and helped establish a dialog. We ended up talking for another 10 minutes. When you have an answer, you look competent and invite new business. If you don’t have one, you may end up looking inexperienced to a prospect. I am sharing a few more similar responses for your review. They’re all 15 words or fewer.
• I can turn your problems into solutions. I’ve been doing this since ****.
• I can turn your problems into solutions. How can I help you today?
• I’m a business owner too. This works for me and my business.
• My customers are jumping for joy!
• I was skeptical at first, but I gave it a shot. It works great!
• My product is not the cheapest, but it is the best value.
• You won’t have to think about **** anymore.
• Pay me to think about ****. You’re running a business.
• It works. It works right. You won’t have to think about it at midnight.
Embrace one of these or create one of your own. I have created a worksheet to help you answer the “Why should I do business with you?” question and posted it at http://www.cameronparkcomputer.com/escape/Why-should-I-do-business-with-you.doc. Write the date in the left column and your 15-word responses in the right column. Get ready for this question. You may need a 15-word response tomorrow.
Mark Anthony Germanos uses Internet tools to help your ideal customers find you, your products and your services. Mark uses SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, to help his clients attract more business. Mark’s Sacramento SEO Gold package includes creating a 6,000 word document with abundant content for your online presence. Sacramento SEO Gold will not produce instant gratification, but Sacramento SEO Gold works and creates long-term benefits. Google Sacramento business revival or Sacramento cloud computing to see Mark’s SEO strategies in action. Mark is available at 530-677-8864 and at http://bit.ly/Jk50ds.